Labour cost: steepest and largest increase in the EU. And mostly concentrated on non-business sector
Romania recorded in the first quarter of 2018 the highest labour cost increase among all EU member states, according to data released by Eurostat. With… Mai mult›
Company financing: Firms’ aversion to credit – at high levels. Most favourite banking product – account overdraft
The rise in interest rates and fees is becoming increasingly worrying for companies and maintains companies’ aversion to banking lending at high levels, according to… Mai mult›
“Everything in One Hand” project continues: Law which pushes Court of Auditors beneath Administration’s feet – adopted
The Senate adopted on Thursday the draft amending Law 94/1992 on the organization and functioning of the Court of Auditors, which contains amendments that could… Mai mult›
Government is hardly competing with private economy on banks’ money. Which are satisfied: less work, lower risks
The volume of government credit has increased about 10 times over the last 10 years, and the share in total banking investment in Romania… Mai mult›
de Adrian N Ionescu , 18.6.2018
The deterioration of investors’ confidence in emerging economies and the default risk of loans to companies and population are the biggest risks to financial stability in Romania, according to a report published on Thursday by the National Bank of Romania (BNR).
The default risk of non-governmental loans is a new entry on the risk map (in this form) and directly positioned at the high systemic risk level, according to the first report of this year on the financial stability.
The current report also includes companies in this risk, compared to the previous report, which had only identified the risk of “the increasing population’s indebtedness.”
The credit default risk trend is stagnant, while the risk of investor confidence’s deterioration is on the rise, unlike the report in December 2017, when the outlook for this latter risk was stagnant.
- The map of risks to financial stability in Romania
- Deterioration of investors’ confidence in emerging economies
- Default risk of non-governmental loans
- Increasing tension in the macroeconomic balance
- Low payment discipline in the economy, vulnerabilities in companies’ balance sheet
- Increase in the real estate prices
- Severe systemic risk High systemic risk Moderate systemic risk Low systemic risk
Of the other three risks, “Low payment discipline in the economy, vulnerabilities in companies’ balance sheet” (moderate) has entered a growing trend compared to the previous report, and the increasing tension in macroeconomic balances maintains its increase prospect.
The outlook for real estate prices is steady.
“A rapid deterioration of investors’ confidence in emerging markets is the most important risk for the next period,” says the BNR report.
The main factors influencing this risk are:
- The normalization of monetary policies of the main central banks at a faster pace than anticipated by investors, amid increased inflationary pressures or worries about the rate of economic growth;
- trends in the global trade, in the context of the adoption of some protectionist measures;
- Uncertainties about Brexit and new trade agreements;
- adverse and sudden market reactions that have the potential to generate significant contagion effects and feed other vulnerabilities existing in the financial system.
“These developments have also been reflected in the temporary increase in costs of financing the states, both in emerging countries (such as Romania) and in developed ones (such as Germany, whose bonds are a benchmark including for our country), ” says the report.
Evolution of the return of state bonds denominated in RON on the secondary market, depending on maturity Return of state bonds with a 10-year maturity
The BNR Governor has stated that there is no unanimously accepted definition of the normalization process of monetary policies and interest rates are still low in Romania.
Credit default risk
“Although the risk of default has not materialized, it is a vulnerability that can be manifested in the context of the global trend of interest rate levels returning to historical trends,” the NBR report said.
- Annual probability of default in the basic macroeconomic scenario
- Mortgage loan Consumer loans
The risk of default is the result of factors related to:
- payment discipline in the economy;
- the suitability of bank lending standards to the moment of granting the loans;
- draft legislation that has encouraged moral hazard;
- the volume of bad loans granted to this segment in the national currency resumed an upward trend and increased by 13% (March 2018 versus March 2017);
- the probability of default on a one-year horizon (March 2018 – March 2019) resumed an upward trend;
- the total debt of the population continued to increase in nominal terms in 2017, mainly due to the significant rise in the mortgage credit (+ 13%, in median value, March 2018/April 2017) and the consumer credit (+ 17%);
- Total debt of population
- Billion RON % of GDP
- Consumer credit CI IFN consumer credit
- Balance of assigned consumer credit Mortgage credit CI
- IFN Mortgage credit Balance of assigned mortgage credit
- Credits removed from the balance sheet Total debts of population (% of GDP)
- the debt/income ratio (DSTI) of debtors earning between the regulated minimum national wage and the average national wage is significantly higher than the ratio for people with higher incomes;
- a possible increase of 10 percentage points of DSTI would lead to a 6% increase in the probability of default for the mortgage credit and by 3% for the consumer credit.
- the bad loan ratio for the loan portfolio with DSTI over 60% is 10%, twice the value of the entire portfolio of exposures to the population.
“In this context, the asymmetry of the indebtedness by income remains an important concern, as the DSTI for debtors earning between the regulated minimum national wage and the average national wage is significantly higher than for people with higher incomes,” the BNR report said.
Increasing tension in macroeconomic balances
The risk continued to manifest especially related to the evolution of twin deficits.
“The intensification of the aggregate demand in the national economy led to the deepening of the current account deficit and the impulse generated on imports eroded the favourable effect of the accelerated export growth”.
The budget deficit is at the maximum threshold of 3% of GDP
The structural deficit has deteriorated to 3.3% of GDP in 2017 (from 2.1% in 2016), above the medium-term target of 1%, and is projected to reach 3.8% at the end of the year 2018.
- Increasing tension in macroeconomic balances
- Structure of goods balance deficit Share of the current account balance in GDP (2017)
- Note: Grouping of goods was made based on the classification by Large economic categories (MCE), according to statistic methodology of international trade of goods
The polarization of the economy is significant: top 100 firms accounted for about 47% of the aggregate net result for the whole economy (compared to 42% in June 2016), while top 100 companies by the level of negative results represent 28% of total losses in the whole economy”.
The BNR is “concerned” with the effect of corroborating the tension from the macroeconomic balance with a potential deterioration in investors ‘sentiment towards emerging markets, an increasing indebtedness of the population and the vulnerabilities in companies’ balance sheets.
All these factors can “generate pressures on the financial stability by amplifying the effects on debtors’ capacity to pay either through the interest rate channel or the exchange rate channel.”
Payment discipline in the economy was mixed: the amount of arrears decreased, while the volume of major payment incidents increased.
- Low payment discipline in the economy, vulnerabilities in companies’ balance sheets
- Delays in payments registered by state-owned companies
- June 2016 June 2017 June 2016 June 2017
- (billion RON) (billion RON) (% of total arrears) (% of total arrears)
- Intra-company arrears
- Arrears to the budget
- Arrears to other debtors
- Delays in payments registered by private companies
- Intra-company arrears
- Arrears to the budget
- Arrears to other debtors
The main determinants are reduced capitalization in a large proportion of firms, the lax financial discipline or the loopholes in the corporate insolvency.
Besides, the ratio between debtors and creditors got unbalanced, and mutual trust has deteriorated.
The systemic risk generated by rising house prices has lower amplitude but it may amplify the other risks identified, especially related to the rising population indebtedness.House prices maintain on an upward trend in 2017, similarly to the developments in the region.
“These price dynamics translates into the need to access higher mortgage loans, which in the context of longer maturities and greater sensitivity to changes in interest rates might put pressure on the debtors’ ability to honour the debt service”, says the BNR Report on Romania’s Financial Stability.
Lăsați un comentariu
Fitch confirms Romania's rating at BBB- but warns: fiscal loosening is risky for macroeconomic stability
Fitch Ratings confirmed on Friday Romania's rating for long-term foreign and local currency debt at BBB-, with a stable outlook, but warned that fiscal loosening… Mai mult›
Finance Minister Eugen Teodorovici said at a press conference held in Bistrita that "a mechanism of this type is in progress”, a mechanism on tax… Mai mult›
AOAR - Economy against new Criminal Code: businessmen denounce excessive protection provided to officials who cause damages to economy
The Businessmen’s Association of Romania (AOAR) asks the ruling coalition to explain the mechanism by which, after changes introduced on Wednesday in the Criminal Code,… Mai mult›
Number of insolvencies increased by 12% in first five months. Suspended activities - plus 31%, dissolutions - plus 59%
The increase in the number of companies and PFAs in insolvency was 11.97% in the first five months of this year, compared to the same… Mai mult›
The investment needs in Romania's transport infrastructure exceed EUR 70 billion, while the available resources by 2030 are EUR 36 billion, according to the Transport… Mai mult›
Liviu Dragnea announces a dictatorship through ordinances: "Correct procedural approach through Parliament is wrong, from the law on investment fund to laws on the judiciary. We will be firmer and more radical"
"We decided to be much firmer and more radical. My way of having a correct procedural approach in the Parliament proved wrong. In the Parliament,… Mai mult›
Deputies adopted a draft law on Wednesday whereby entitlement to social assistance ceases when a job is refused. The decision, Agerpres announced, was taken with… Mai mult›
The National Agency for Employment (ANOFM) grants subsidies of RON 900/month to employers who employ graduates of educational institutions, with contracts of indefinite duration, within… Mai mult›
C.P. Tariceanu, before the heads of Senates from EU: The European Commission has encouraged the parallel state, in Romania it is like in the 50's
Calin Popescu Tariceanu (foto) delivered a very tough speech on Friday, in the Senate, addressed to the European Commission, which he accused of encouraging the… Mai mult›
The National Bank of Romania (BNR) sent to banks for consultation a draft amending Regulation 17/2012, which provides for a consistent lowering of the indebtedness… Mai mult›
Senators adopted on Wednesday the draft for amending the Code of Criminal Procedure, by 74 votes for to 28, against. The bill goes to the… Mai mult›
RBL: Workforce crisis is worse than economic crisis - 3.4 million Romanians have left the country in last 10 years
Migration is one of the most serious problems facing Romania at this time, along with the lack of infrastructure. However, the return of Romanians to… Mai mult›
Romania's economy could grow by 5.1% in 2018, according to the World Bank summer forecast. The estimate has been improved by 0.6 percentage points above… Mai mult›
Ministry of Energy: Natural gas from Black Sea will be exported through Onesti - Isaccea - Negru Voda network
The Ministry of Energy issued for Transgaz the construction permit for the consolidation of the transport system between Onesti (Bacau) and Isaccea (Tulcea) and for… Mai mult›