Green Deal / New, additional European funds for Romania – negotiation position assumed by MEP Siegfried Muresan
The transition to a green economy needs to be supported by new, additional European funds, distinct from Romania’s allocations from the future EU multiannual budget.… Mai mult›
Romania fell 3 places to the 10th position in the ranking of largest investments made by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), after… Mai mult›
Transport Ministry announces it has sent to Brussels the financing request for Sibiu – Pitesti highway
The Transport Ministry, as the Intermediate Body in Transport, approved the financing request for the project “Construction of Sibiu – Pitesti highway”, Sections 1, 4… Mai mult›
(The map of investment financed through Juncker Plan, by GDP share. Darker colours mean higher shares) The operator of national natural gas pipelines, Transgaz (TGN)… Mai mult›
List of black payments / Corruption in health sectors: Bribes – 25% of contract value, higher than in other fields
de Mariana Bechir , 14.5.2018
Romania is the European country with the lowest spending in the health sector. However, DNA statistics show that the bribe in this field is higher – it can reach 25% of the value of the contracts, as opposed to 10%, the usual practice in all other sectors (in infrastructure it is 2%).
Case files from DNA show that “there are major vulnerabilities within the public health system,” Laura Codruta Kovesi said on Tuesday.
According to her, there are five corruption areas in the health system: public procurement, medical services, budgeting of some payments, staff access to the medical system, and licensing process for pharmacies.
- Bribe is given directly to the hospital manager or masked by fictitious services provided by consulting firms that are owned by the manager or close associates of the manager.
- For this purpose, offshore companies have been established, precisely with the purpose of receiving the benefits or money given as a bribe.
- Examples – cases of overpriced equipment that has been bought but could not be used.
- When patients give money to medical staff.
- In this case, the value of the bribe is not big, but the regularity of this act is impressive. “Often, the amounts are impressive,” explained Laura Codruta Kovesi.
Bribe for budgeting some payments
- Budgeting is conditional on the illegal monthly payment of a fixed amount, made by the manager of the medical institution to the president of the County Health Insurance House.
- The legal process of negotiating, signing, implementing the financing contract and tracking the payments is doubled by an illegal act of negotiating and receiving the bribe.
- “Tariffs” are fixed, and everyone knows how much and whom to give.
- For example, for a hospital attendant job, 2,500 euro are paid, for a nurse job – 1,500 euro, for a medical registrar – 1,500 euro.
Authorization of pharmacies
- Unlawful payments to facilitate the issuance of the authorizations in a shorter than usual time.
- Bribing is an incentive for complying with the legal term, even though the applicants have filed accurate and complete files.