The economic growth on the first three quarters of 2018 was 4.2%, both in gross series and the seasonally adjusted series, according to data published… Mai mult›
Budget revenue, historical minimum – below two-thirds of EU average as a share of GDP. Declining trend and low values across the board
Romania ranked penultimate among EU member states in 2017 in terms of budget revenues share of GDP, according to Eurostat data. With only 25.8%, our… Mai mult›
Hourly labour costs grew by 13.91% in the third quarter of 2018 compared to the same period in 2017 (+1.53% compared to Q2 2018), according… Mai mult›
“Man, there is still time”/ We meet 13 out of 14 criteria on European dashboard: but how do we overcome two neuralgic points?
According to Eurostat, Romania observed 13 of the 14 indicators set for the scoreboard of the macroeconomic situation in the EU member states last year.… Mai mult›
Romanian research has come below the level registered at the EU accession moment. And it reached one sixth of EU 2020 target
Romania insists on staying on the penultimate position among the European Union member states in terms of R & D expenditure in 2017, according to… Mai mult›
New and spectacular list of tax measures: income tax falls to 10%, solidarity tax is a contribution (2.25%), tax on turnover below EUR 1 million, contributions for independent activities calculated based on national minimum wage
de Victor Bratu , 30.10.2017
Without any further comments, we shall outline them below and we shall see whether the political decision will turn these figures into tax policies or not.
With a note: important figures are missing from the Ministry of Finance’s list, which should support the political considerations that are obvious, as well as the budgetary impact, which usually causes troubles for all governments.
Decisions announced by Minister Ionut Misa are:
- Increase the minimum wage from RON 1,450 to RON 1,550 (respectively to RON1,900 with the gross amount which will include the contributions currently paid by the employer). The measure would apply as of January 1, 2018
- Increase the pension point from RON 1,000 to RON 1,100. The measure will apply as of July 1, 2018
- Increase the minimum guaranteed pension from RON 520 lei to RON 640. The measure will apply as of July 1, 2018
- Cut the income tax from 16% to 10%, not only for salary income but also for other types of income such as pensions, rental income, interest rates, agricultural activities, copyrights, self-employment
- 70% increase in deductions for low paid Romanians. For the minimum wage, the amount exempted from tax will increase from RON 300 to RON 510. For people with children, an amount of RON 160 is added for each child (compared to RON 100 now)
- Transfer social contributions to the employee. Of the total contributions paid for the gross salary, 37.25% will be paid. In total, of the gross salary, 35% will be contributions paid by the employer on behalf of the employee. Contributions left to the employer, namely 2.75%, decrease to 2,25% and will cover the risks of unemployment, accidents, sick leave, salary claims. All these will be covered by a single contribution called “Work insurance contribution”
- CAS for particular work conditions decreases from 31.3% to 29%
- CAS for special work conditions decreases from 36.3% to 33%
- Independent activities (doctors, lawyers, notaries, journalists, writers, artists, etc.) will no longer pay contributions to the amounts obtained from these activities. Contributions will be calculated based on the national minimum wage.
- Companies with a turnover below EUR 1 million will pay a 1% tax on turnover instead of the current 16% corporate tax
- Businesses can no longer be criminally prosecuted for a VAT fraud unless there is material evidence that the respective entity has encountered tax evasion firms
Minister Ionut Misa also announced two measures to fight tax evasion or avoidance.
The first one is the implementation of the European Directive 1164 from 2016 on fighting profit shifting abroad by multinational companies. Through this directive:
- Deduction of interest will be limited
- A tax is introduced on the amounts transferred abroad by multinationals, to reduce their tax base
- Transfers between business groups to their subsidiaries from tax haven will be prevented
- No more tax benefits from abusive arrangements between companies will be granted
The second measure: the seizure of the means of transport (car, truck, ship, train, airplane) used by those who evade excise duties on goods, in addition to the seizure of the goods involved in evasion.
Putting announced measures into context: Tax Code – as an electoral poster
The Finance Minister’s intervention looked like the political speeches – important details of some measures are missing, important figures related to the budget impact are missing.
Instead, for each measure, there were repeated mentions such as “1.3 million Romanians will have more money in their pocket next year.”Additionally, the measures announced by the minister have been listed under the motto “Good measures for citizens and businesses” and the pages also contained “directing instructions” of the party’s communicators.
“PSD continues to be in the government that brings more money into Romanians’ pockets and helps the business environment. In 2018, millions of Romanians will have larger incomes, and hundreds of thousands of companies will pay lower taxes to the state,” is written in the main message that Ionut Misa should have read in front of the media present at the beginning of the government meeting on Thursday.
Lăsați un comentariu
The benchmark government bond yield jumped above the 5% threshold on Thursday. The Ministry of Public Finance (MFP) attracted RON 300 million from banks on… Mai mult›
The Ministry of European Funds has taken out Iasi-Tg. Mures highway project from the Large Infrastructure Operational Programme 2021-2027 and the Ministry of Transport already… Mai mult›
Senate postpones discussions on DNA’s request on waiving immunity of Calin Popescu Tariceanu until February 2019
The Senate has decided that it will put to the vote the decision to waive Calin Popescu Tariceanu's immunity only in the spring session, that… Mai mult›
Implementation of 5G technology, a multiplication effect in economy of EUR 4.7 billion - announces Sorin Grindeanu (ANCOM)
The National Authority for Management and Regulation in Communications (ANCOM) launched on Wednesday the National Strategy for the Implementation of 5G Technologies in Romania for… Mai mult›
Some of the amendments to the criminal codes will generate mistrust regarding Romanian state's ability to ensure the legality, stability and predictability of business relationships… Mai mult›
European Semester / European Commission asks Romania to correct its medium-term structural deficit by 1% of GDP
Minister Eugen Teodorovici is pressured by the EU to reduce the budget deficit After finding that the Government has done nothing to adjust the deviation… Mai mult›
The Government adopted on Thursday the ordinance that provides for the general framework for the establishment of a Sovereign Fund. Later, after new talks with… Mai mult›
The representatives of Ford Craiova met on Wednesday with mayors of 30 localities from Dolj county in order to stimulate the attraction of 1,700 new… Mai mult›
Development strategy / Government squeezes even investment money from its own companies: EUR 120 million from only two entities in energy field
Nuclearelectrica (SNN) and Romgaz (SNG) have calculated the additional dividends to be paid to the state after the Ministry of Finance (MFP) sent to the… Mai mult›
DNA, officially: Senate President is suspected of having received a USD 800,000 bribe. Case file opened at a request from Austrian judicial authorities
The case file in which the DNA requested the waiving of the Senate President’s immunity was opened at the request of Austrian judicial authorities and… Mai mult›
Romania has to recover illegal state aid worth EUR 60 million granted to Compexul Energetic Hunedoara, announced the European Commission with a statement released on… Mai mult›
The Ministry of Public Finance (MFP) intends to borrow in November RON 4.74 billion, 1.4% more than in the previous month, according to the Ministry.… Mai mult›
IRUM Reghin launched the first 100% Romanian tractor, announced Digi24, designed and built by the company’s engineers, 15 years after the Romanian tractor manufacturing disappeared.… Mai mult›
Romanians from abroad sent as much money to Romania as Government attracted from European funds and subsidies
Romanians working abroad sent EUR 2.695 billion to the country in the first eight months of 2018, equalling the European funds and subsidies received in… Mai mult›