The signal forecast that the National Institute of Statistics announced indicates a record growth rate of 8.8% in the third quarter of 2017 on the… Mai mult›
Before deciding to protect the stability of interest rates more than the stability of the exchange rate and to signal, though, a future increase in… Mai mult›
The distrust regarding the health of Romania’s economic growth makes foreign analysts remember that the last time when Romania outpaced China in terms of the… Mai mult›
An abnormality that has reached its potential: Depopulation does not help too much GDP/capita growth
The data published by Eurostat on the evolution of GDP per capita over the period 2005-2015 show that the growth rate of this key indicator… Mai mult›
Document / Where is money that Government is trying to squeeze out of private sector: 36% of debts are in state-owned companies. And PSD
A total of 10 state-owned companies or owned by the public administration account for over 36% of the total outstanding social contributions at September 30,… Mai mult›
New and spectacular list of tax measures: income tax falls to 10%, solidarity tax is a contribution (2.25%), tax on turnover below EUR 1 million, contributions for independent activities calculated based on national minimum wage
de Victor Bratu , 30.10.2017
Without any further comments, we shall outline them below and we shall see whether the political decision will turn these figures into tax policies or not.
With a note: important figures are missing from the Ministry of Finance’s list, which should support the political considerations that are obvious, as well as the budgetary impact, which usually causes troubles for all governments.
Decisions announced by Minister Ionut Misa are:
- Increase the minimum wage from RON 1,450 to RON 1,550 (respectively to RON1,900 with the gross amount which will include the contributions currently paid by the employer). The measure would apply as of January 1, 2018
- Increase the pension point from RON 1,000 to RON 1,100. The measure will apply as of July 1, 2018
- Increase the minimum guaranteed pension from RON 520 lei to RON 640. The measure will apply as of July 1, 2018
- Cut the income tax from 16% to 10%, not only for salary income but also for other types of income such as pensions, rental income, interest rates, agricultural activities, copyrights, self-employment
- 70% increase in deductions for low paid Romanians. For the minimum wage, the amount exempted from tax will increase from RON 300 to RON 510. For people with children, an amount of RON 160 is added for each child (compared to RON 100 now)
- Transfer social contributions to the employee. Of the total contributions paid for the gross salary, 37.25% will be paid. In total, of the gross salary, 35% will be contributions paid by the employer on behalf of the employee. Contributions left to the employer, namely 2.75%, decrease to 2,25% and will cover the risks of unemployment, accidents, sick leave, salary claims. All these will be covered by a single contribution called “Work insurance contribution”
- CAS for particular work conditions decreases from 31.3% to 29%
- CAS for special work conditions decreases from 36.3% to 33%
- Independent activities (doctors, lawyers, notaries, journalists, writers, artists, etc.) will no longer pay contributions to the amounts obtained from these activities. Contributions will be calculated based on the national minimum wage.
- Companies with a turnover below EUR 1 million will pay a 1% tax on turnover instead of the current 16% corporate tax
- Businesses can no longer be criminally prosecuted for a VAT fraud unless there is material evidence that the respective entity has encountered tax evasion firms
Minister Ionut Misa also announced two measures to fight tax evasion or avoidance.
The first one is the implementation of the European Directive 1164 from 2016 on fighting profit shifting abroad by multinational companies. Through this directive:
- Deduction of interest will be limited
- A tax is introduced on the amounts transferred abroad by multinationals, to reduce their tax base
- Transfers between business groups to their subsidiaries from tax haven will be prevented
- No more tax benefits from abusive arrangements between companies will be granted
The second measure: the seizure of the means of transport (car, truck, ship, train, airplane) used by those who evade excise duties on goods, in addition to the seizure of the goods involved in evasion.
Putting announced measures into context: Tax Code – as an electoral poster
The Finance Minister’s intervention looked like the political speeches – important details of some measures are missing, important figures related to the budget impact are missing.
Instead, for each measure, there were repeated mentions such as “1.3 million Romanians will have more money in their pocket next year.”Additionally, the measures announced by the minister have been listed under the motto “Good measures for citizens and businesses” and the pages also contained “directing instructions” of the party’s communicators.
“PSD continues to be in the government that brings more money into Romanians’ pockets and helps the business environment. In 2018, millions of Romanians will have larger incomes, and hundreds of thousands of companies will pay lower taxes to the state,” is written in the main message that Ionut Misa should have read in front of the media present at the beginning of the government meeting on Thursday.
Lăsați un comentariu
Rompetrol saga, chapter about money: Government asks KazMunaiGaz to pay the historical debt and demand settlement of case in court
The extension of the memorandum between the Romanian state and KazMunaiGaz, the owner of the Rompetrol Group, will be discussed only after the company's historical… Mai mult›
"Not only we have not died, we rank third in the world" - Government approved second budget amendment, deficit of 2.96% of GDP
The second budget amendment this year has been adopted at the government meeting on Wednesday. As the Finance Minister assures, this amendment is "positive", the… Mai mult›
Mayors accepted on Tuesday in the negotiations with Prime Minister Mihai Tudose and several cabinet members, the promises made by the government officials to partially… Mai mult›
The establishment of own companies by local administration to manage the services at the local level is worrying for the competition authority, Bogdan Chiritoiu, President… Mai mult›
The ruling coalition registered with the Chamber of Deputies on Tuesday the draft amendments to the three important laws for the judicial system: Law 303/2004… Mai mult›
Negative opinion and analysis of Fiscal Council on tax changes. "Tax package" costs 5.2 billion, not planned at all
The Fiscal Council issued a negative opinion on the proposal to amend the Fiscal Code, according to the opinion published Friday on the institution’s website.… Mai mult›
The Economic and Social Council, a consultative body of the Parliament and the Romanian Government, issued a negative opinion on Tudose cabinet's draft amendment to… Mai mult›
Romania ranks 45th in the Doing Business 2018 ranking by the World Bank (WB), with a total score of 72.87 points, right under the Republic… Mai mult›
Regarding the EUROSTAT release on Romania’s budget deficit in the second quarter of 2017, the Ministry of Public Finance (MFP) has issued a press release… Mai mult›
Trade Winds: US broadens economic cooperation base with Romania: most US companies coming to Bucharest are SMEs
SMEs are the most numerous among the over 100 American companies participating in the Trade Winds mission launched in Bucharest by the US Department of… Mai mult›
Government introduces a tax on jobs: 2% on salary fund for employers. Finance Minister says EU forces us to do so
Finance Minister Ionut Misa announced on Wednesday evening in an interview for Antena3 that the Government will introduce a "solidarity tax" applied to employers, depending… Mai mult›
Shareholders of Transgaz national gas carrier will provide information on the conclusion of an EUR 50 million loan agreement with the European Investment Bank… Mai mult›
European Commission’s announcement to Government and Parliament: Gas transactions market cannot be monopolized by OPCOM
Romania risks the infringement procedure if the Parliament adopts definitive amendments to the Emergency Ordinance 64/2017 on the natural gas market, which provides for the… Mai mult›
The Ministry of Finance (MFP) placed euro bonds worth EUR 1 billion on the foreign market by reopening the issue with the maturity of 10… Mai mult›
Ford launches production of EcoSport in Craiova. Total investment in Romania reaches over EUR 1.2 billion
Ford officially launched the production of the EcoSport SUV at the plant in Craiova, raising total investments in Romania to about EUR 1.2 billion, since… Mai mult›