Eurostatistics is a synthesis based on a set of standardized and harmonized benchmarks for the comparability between countries at the European level (Principal European Economic… Mai mult›
Romania climbed last year on the penultimate position among the EU member states in terms of the productivity of resources in the economy, after Bulgaria,… Mai mult›
Romania’s economy is becoming more and more vulnerable due to the increasing number of businesses that state no revenues, register losses and debts exceeding their… Mai mult›
Hourly labour cost increased by 15.6% in the second quarter of 2018 compared to the same period of 2017 (+ 9.36%, compared to Q1 2018),… Mai mult›
Fiscal Council, about budget amendment: Increase in revenues from VAT and excise duties has no basis
The Fiscal Council announced on Wednesday, the day when the Government adopted the draft budget amendment without the opinion from CSAT, that it considers the… Mai mult›
New and spectacular list of tax measures: income tax falls to 10%, solidarity tax is a contribution (2.25%), tax on turnover below EUR 1 million, contributions for independent activities calculated based on national minimum wage
de Victor Bratu , 30.10.2017
Without any further comments, we shall outline them below and we shall see whether the political decision will turn these figures into tax policies or not.
With a note: important figures are missing from the Ministry of Finance’s list, which should support the political considerations that are obvious, as well as the budgetary impact, which usually causes troubles for all governments.
Decisions announced by Minister Ionut Misa are:
- Increase the minimum wage from RON 1,450 to RON 1,550 (respectively to RON1,900 with the gross amount which will include the contributions currently paid by the employer). The measure would apply as of January 1, 2018
- Increase the pension point from RON 1,000 to RON 1,100. The measure will apply as of July 1, 2018
- Increase the minimum guaranteed pension from RON 520 lei to RON 640. The measure will apply as of July 1, 2018
- Cut the income tax from 16% to 10%, not only for salary income but also for other types of income such as pensions, rental income, interest rates, agricultural activities, copyrights, self-employment
- 70% increase in deductions for low paid Romanians. For the minimum wage, the amount exempted from tax will increase from RON 300 to RON 510. For people with children, an amount of RON 160 is added for each child (compared to RON 100 now)
- Transfer social contributions to the employee. Of the total contributions paid for the gross salary, 37.25% will be paid. In total, of the gross salary, 35% will be contributions paid by the employer on behalf of the employee. Contributions left to the employer, namely 2.75%, decrease to 2,25% and will cover the risks of unemployment, accidents, sick leave, salary claims. All these will be covered by a single contribution called “Work insurance contribution”
- CAS for particular work conditions decreases from 31.3% to 29%
- CAS for special work conditions decreases from 36.3% to 33%
- Independent activities (doctors, lawyers, notaries, journalists, writers, artists, etc.) will no longer pay contributions to the amounts obtained from these activities. Contributions will be calculated based on the national minimum wage.
- Companies with a turnover below EUR 1 million will pay a 1% tax on turnover instead of the current 16% corporate tax
- Businesses can no longer be criminally prosecuted for a VAT fraud unless there is material evidence that the respective entity has encountered tax evasion firms
Minister Ionut Misa also announced two measures to fight tax evasion or avoidance.
The first one is the implementation of the European Directive 1164 from 2016 on fighting profit shifting abroad by multinational companies. Through this directive:
- Deduction of interest will be limited
- A tax is introduced on the amounts transferred abroad by multinationals, to reduce their tax base
- Transfers between business groups to their subsidiaries from tax haven will be prevented
- No more tax benefits from abusive arrangements between companies will be granted
The second measure: the seizure of the means of transport (car, truck, ship, train, airplane) used by those who evade excise duties on goods, in addition to the seizure of the goods involved in evasion.
Putting announced measures into context: Tax Code – as an electoral poster
The Finance Minister’s intervention looked like the political speeches – important details of some measures are missing, important figures related to the budget impact are missing.
Instead, for each measure, there were repeated mentions such as “1.3 million Romanians will have more money in their pocket next year.”Additionally, the measures announced by the minister have been listed under the motto “Good measures for citizens and businesses” and the pages also contained “directing instructions” of the party’s communicators.
“PSD continues to be in the government that brings more money into Romanians’ pockets and helps the business environment. In 2018, millions of Romanians will have larger incomes, and hundreds of thousands of companies will pay lower taxes to the state,” is written in the main message that Ionut Misa should have read in front of the media present at the beginning of the government meeting on Thursday.
Lăsați un comentariu
Finance Ministry wants to change rules for insolvency: state could also register claims after procedure is launched
Companies’ possibility to avoid paying creditors (and in particular the payment of tax receivables) simply by declaring their insolvency would be drastically limited, according to… Mai mult›
Prime Minister Viorica Dancila, European Commissioner Phil Hogan and Agriculture Minister Petre Daea The swine fever epidemics in Romania has an impact on neighbouring countries,… Mai mult›
Infrastructure projects lost EUR 41.5 million following budget amendment. In what projects cuts have been made
Despite the assurances that Dancila government is concerned and intensely working on the road infrastructure projects, at the budget amendment the Transport Ministry has cut… Mai mult›
Leaders of the political groups in the European Parliament have decided to adopt in October a resolution on the rule of law in Romania. The… Mai mult›
"Romania's buffers have deteriorated, the country is less prepared for a negative shock" - IMF will reduce economic growth estimate
Romania will be less prepared if the economy is hit by a negative shock, as the structural deficit has been deteriorated - IMF representative for… Mai mult›
Premiere: CSAT asks Finance Ministry to amend amendment - session suspended until Government comes with a draft that does not affect budgets of secret services
President Klaus Iohannis suspended on Tuesday the CSAT meeting for discussing the budget amendment, as there was no consensus on the budgets of institutions from… Mai mult›
Rating agency Standard & Poor's confirmed on Friday ratings for long- and short-term debt in foreign and local currency to "BBB-/A-3" with a stable outlook,… Mai mult›
"Romania’s presidency seems to fail before it starts": Gunther Krichbaum - reaction to anti-German violent statements made by government officials
Romania's presidency of the Council of the European Union seems to fail even before it starts, warns Chairman of the Bundestag European Affairs Committee Gunther… Mai mult›
OMV Petrom sells a quarter of its deposit perimeters to finance potential gas extraction from Black Sea
OMV Petrom (SNP) will sell another 50-60 perimeters from its portfolio of about 200, as most of the company's investments focus on operating the Black… Mai mult›
The number of people who left the country for more than 12 months continued to grow last year, reaching almost 220,000 people (which exceeds the… Mai mult›
The Minister of Justice stirred up the fury of magistrates. 181 prosecutors and judges sent him a letter criticizing Tudorel Toader for his statements about… Mai mult›
MApN announced on Wednesday that Mihail Kogalniceanu Air Base 57 had a ceremony occasioned by the handing over of the Enhanced Air Policing between the… Mai mult›
The Ministry of Public Finance makes a "comparative analysis" of the Tax Code and the Tax Procedure Code with a view to applying a new… Mai mult›
Romania, Hungary and Slovenia are the member states that recorded the largest increase in the share of public sector employees in the total number of… Mai mult›