BNR analysis: Radiography of investments in Romania – under what conditions capital accumulation occurs
Foreign direct investment (FDI) and expectations regarding the demand have a positive influence on capital accumulation in Romania, while uncertainties play an inhibiting role, especially… Mai mult›
Romania ranks second to last among EU states in terms of national gross minimum wage, according to data published by Eurostat, at a level… Mai mult›
Some charts: Perfect chaos in Romanian budgets. A 4-year analysis of difference between law and implementation
Although at first glance it is difficult to draft them, Romania’s public budgets are, in fact, a series of indicators and lists of revenues and… Mai mult›
Tax authority’s “armed arm” was handed over to Prognosis Commission. How strongest governmental structure looks?
ANAF’s new president, Mihaela Triculescu, handed over to the National Commission for Strategy and Prognosis – CNSP the power to decide what companies are to… Mai mult›
Romania is clearly distinguishing itself within the EU in terms of current account deficit evolution, with the second highest current account deficit in 2017 and… Mai mult›
“Everything in One Hand” project continues: Law which pushes Court of Auditors beneath Administration’s feet – adopted
de Razvan Diaconu , 9.7.2018
The Senate adopted on Thursday the draft amending Law 94/1992 on the organization and functioning of the Court of Auditors, which contains amendments that could freeze all payments for European funded projects in the current budgetary year – as the authorities in Brussels warned.
Details and especially consequences of this law – HERE-LINK.
As this is the decision-making chamber, the law goes to promulgation.
In the European Commission’s view, some of the approved amendments do not meet international standards and affect the institution’s independence.
In the initiators’ view, though, changes were made precisely to align the law with international auditing standards. Correlation with international regulations is the pretext invoked in the explanatory memorandum of this legislative intervention, but also of other projects harshly criticized by the European institutions. For example, in the case of “reforming” laws on the judiciary.
Interventions on Law 94/1992 undoubtedly have the potential to severely affect the independence of the Court of Auditors in several ways:
- expand president’s attributions (a political appointee, by the Parliament) to the detriment of collective management, through the Court’s plenum
- allow the interference of other institutions in the Court’s activity
- creates loopholes for the heads of public institutions who illegally spent public money
For Romania, the stake of these changes means over EUR 20 billion. For PSD and ALDE, the authors of the dangerous amendments, the stake is the political control of the Court of Auditors, so that local elected representatives and heads of institutions could not be held accountable for an illegal or unnecessary spending of public (national and European) funds.
The draft amendment to Law 94/1992 on the Court of Auditors received a final vote in the Chamber of Deputies on 25 April and received all the opinions of the Senate committees involved in the procedure.
The decision gets concentrated in one hand: expanding the president’s role, to the detriment of the Court of Auditors’ Plenum
The proposed amendments effectively cancel the collective management of the Court of Auditors, as the most important tasks are transferred from the plenum of 18 (independent) audit advisors to the president of the institution (a political figure appointed by the Parliament).
At this moment, the president is Mihai Busuioc (photo), a social-democrat loyal to Liviu Dragnea. Former Secretary-General of the Government, after PSD-ALDE came into power, he was the main pawn used by Liviu Dragnea inside Victoria Palace to stop Sorin Grindeanu and Victor Ponta from taking over the government.
Mihai Busuioc was appointed last year to the Court of Auditors for a nine-year term.
Extended attributions for the president:
- “The organizational structure of the Secretariat General and the attributions of its departments are established by the Plenum of the Court of Auditors,” the current law provides. The amendment voted by deputies adds that these things will be done based on the proposal of the Court of Auditors’ president.
- It is the Court of Auditors’ president who will decide whether he or she notifies prosecutors of irregularities found. The destiny of mayors, heads of institutions, etc. who spent the public money in violation of the law will exclusively depend on the will of a political appointee. Now, Article 33 provides that the notification is made by the head of the department who identified “the acts on which there are indications that they were committed in violation of the law.”
- “The president approves the responsibilities assigned to departments, divisions of the Secretariat General and the president’s apparatus” shall be added to Art. 60.
- A new structure is established that reports to the president – “President’s apparatus” (Article 8). It is a distinct structure from the secretariat general and the president’s office and will check all reports before they are transmitted.
Court of Auditors is no longer the ultimate authority to certify data from audited execution accounts
The draft approved in the Chamber of Deputies repealed art. 31 of the current law, which now provides:
- The Court of Auditors shall certify the accuracy and veracity of the data in the audited execution accounts.
- No other authority can decide on the data registered in the execution accounts, except on a provisional basis.
This means that the Court of Auditors is the decisive authority in the matter of discharge – the granting of a certificate of compliance for the certification of the execution of the accounts at a public authority.By repealing the article, any entity may decide on the certification of public institutions’ accounts and the Court of Auditors is compelled to accept the report of the auditor paid by the audited entity.
Measures to protect officials with problems of a criminal nature
- The Court of Auditors’ obligation to request “the suspension from office, according to the law, of persons accused of committing acts that cause significant damages or serious financial deviations, identified following the controls or audits carried out, until final decisions are issued in the causes in which these persons are involved “(art. 45).
- 54, which required the suspension from office of the Court of Auditors’ members and external public auditors sent to trial. The draft adopted by the Chamber of Deputies’ members provides for the suspension from office only when a first conviction has been decided.
Lăsați un comentariu
"Iceberg" operation: ANAF announces that it selected 487 companies which are to be audited based on risk analysis
Virgil Pirvulescu, Vice President of ANAF at PwC Annual Tax Conference The National Agency for Tax Administration (ANAF) has identified 487 large and medium-sized companies… Mai mult›
Commissioner Corina Cretu: There is a risk that Magurele Laser will not be completed during this budget implementation
In the absence of a rapid response from the Romanian Government to the European Commission, there is a risk that Magurele Laser can no longer… Mai mult›
The Presidential Administration announced on Friday that President Klaus Iohannis, "as the head of Romania’s foreign policy decisions and Romania's representative at the external level,… Mai mult›
Further to the message on the impact of OUG 114/2018 transmitted on Thursday to the organizations in the Coalition for Development of Romania (CDR), AmCham… Mai mult›
Finance minister stopped borrowing money from the market. Teodorovici: We have funding resources for minimum six months
Minister of Public Finance (MFP), Eugen Orlando Teodorovici, has ordered to stop borrowing operations on the market because MFF would have all the money needed… Mai mult›
BNR: If we sold foreign currency to defend Romanian leu, as PSD wants, interest rates would explode and ROBOR would go over 5-7 percentage points
The National Bank of Romania wants a "loyal cooperation" with the Ministry of Public Finance, and that involves a prior consultation with the central bank… Mai mult›
The tax on bank assets was not included in the 2019 draft budget, published on Thursday evening by the Ministry of Public Finance (MFP). According… Mai mult›
Eruption on foreign exchange market: Mechanism of spiralling depreciation. Euro - sudden surge to 4,759
The average euro exchange rate, calculated by the National Bank of Romania (BNR), suddenly climbed sharply to a new record level of 4.7569 RON /… Mai mult›
ANAF starts controls at large taxpayers. Mission stated: Combating phenomenon of externalisation of profits
The National Agency for Fiscal Administration has publicly announced the start of the "Iceberg" operation - a large fiscal control action targeting big companies operating… Mai mult›
It becomes increasingly harder for the state to borrow: Finance Ministry has attracted only a quarter of targeted 400 million
The Ministry of Finance (MFP) has only managed to sell five-year government bonds amounted to RON 110 million out of the RON 400 million issued… Mai mult›
The most important bankers in Romania say that the effects of the tax on greed will be very serious and difficult to repair over time.… Mai mult›
Rovinari power plant, part of Complex Energetic Oltenia, closed one of its energy groups on Wednesday night because of the lack of coal, as… Mai mult›
A flow of initiatives against compensatory appeal: 188 of detainees released committed robberies, rapes, crimes
USR will file on Monday a bill on repealing the compensation appeals law, based on which thousands of detainees were released from prison before completing… Mai mult›
Mugur Isarescu: "Ordinance weird thing" reduces monetary policy efficiency, which will not help Government
The National Bank of Romania (BNR) will convoke the National Committee for Macro-prudential Supervision, where the Ministry of Finance will be required to clarify the… Mai mult›